Hurricane Season Flood Insurance Claim

Flood Insurance Claim

Hit Hard by the Flood? Get the Compensation you Deserve.

Flood Insurance Claim.

Over last weekend, New Orleans received nearly 8 inches of rain in just one afternoon, which caused major flooding across the area. Just last year, Baton Rouge saw its most devastating flood in recent history. If you need to make a flood insurance claim for your home or vehicle, it’s important to understand the inner workings of flood insurance so you get the compensation you deserve.

While flood insurance policies are adjusted by your insurance company, they are paid for by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP was created as part of the National Flood Insurance Act (NFIA) and is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, better known as FEMA. Because flood insurance claims are governed by complex rules, it can be difficult to receive the amount to which you’re entitled.

Since 1983, private insurance companies have been providing flood insurance as Write Your Own (WYO) insurers. WYO insurers write policies and process claims for the NFIP in exchange for an allowance. When your insurance policy is through a WYO insurer, the insurer is solely responsible for adjusting and paying the claim.

Flood Insurance Claim


If you’re ready to make a flood insurance claim, you’ll first need submit a Proof of Loss, which contains the amount of your claim. Most companies require this to be completed within 30 days of when the loss occurred.

Property damage estimates are difficult to make, and can often be grossly inaccurate. You’ll want to carefully document all the damage, and meet all the appropriate deadlines. And, even when you’ve done this, insurance companies will find reasons to deny or significantly underpay your claim. Luckily, you can dispute these claims.

Many insurance companies will find ways to avoid paying you for your injuries and property damages. Disputing your claim requires meticulously documenting your loss and having evidence of the loss supported by experts. At Crescent City Law, we work with expert independent adjusters who can help you prove that your home or car is worth more than the insurance company is willing to. Additionally, if you suffered an injury due to a car wreck during the flooding, we can handle you personal injury claim as well.

Crescent City Law | 504-264-9492


If you were hit hard by the flood, you deserve to be compensated properly. Call the attorneys of Crescent City Law today by calling 504-264-9492 or filling out a contact form for a FREE consultation.