Skip to main content
Car AccidentCommercial Drivers LicenseInsuranceTraffic court

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists in New Orleans

Driving a car is a privilege and not a right. In order to register your vehicle in New Orleans and continue to drive on Louisiana highways, you must pay insurance. Not only are you required to have insurance as an auto owner, but there is a minimum liability insurance that is required if your car is registered in Louisiana along with uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Why Auto Insurance is Required in Louisiana

There are a number of reasons why Louisiana requires insurance coverage of your vehicle. While driving an automobile, you are operating heavy machinery while other drivers, pedestrians, bicyclists, objects and buildings are within your driving range. There are many laws associated with driving in order to create safer roads. Because of this, Louisiana requires that a driver carries a 15/30/25 insurance coverage. This means that minimally, you are covered for $15,000 for injury to one person in the event of a car wreck, $30,000 for all people injured in an car accident, and $25,000 for any property damaged as a result of a car wreck.

When you are shopping for your own car insurance policy, uninsured motorists coverage (UM) pays for any medical bills related to physical or mental injury, lost income, loss of life, or physical damage when an uninsured driver is the cause of a wreck where you are the victim. or you are involved in a hit-and-run accident.

Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) is very similar and helps when the driver at fault does not have enough insurance to cover the damages to your truck and other money lost.

Having uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage as a part of your auto insurance policy is a great way to protecting yourself while out on the road. Louisiana’s Uninsured Motorist Law states that any auto liability policy purchased automatically includes uninsured motorist coverage, even if the policy does not specifically include it in the language. If you choose not to include uninsured motorist coverage in your policy, you must sign something stating that you reject uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage or choose coverage below the statutory minimum required.

More Information: Did you Know that If you’re in a Car Wreck, your Insurance may be required to pay you?

What if I’m Involved in an Accident and the At-Fault Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

If you have recently been involved in a car wreck in the Greater New Orleans area, and the driver at fault was uninsured or underinsured, you should contact an experienced and professional Louisiana personal injury lawyer to help you get the compensation your deserve for your injuries, damages or lost wages.

Call Crescent City Law for a Free Initial Consultation

Crescent City Law has extensive knowledge on uninsured motorist coverage and has worked with a number of clients involved in accidents where the driver at fault did not have auto insurance or had underinsured auto coverage of their vehicle. Crescent City Law understands that the immediate time after an accident can be an extremely stressful time, regardless of whether you have minor injuries or if the accident resulted in an extremely serious injury case. From our New Orleans office, we can meet with you evenings, weekends or off-site. You can call (504) 264-9492 for a free consultation or e-mail me anytime.

Skip to content